Monday, March 30, 2015

Tutorial • Making Belts

In view of the fact that I really don't like indoor photo shoots, and the weather outside has been nasty, I decided to post a little tutorial today in lieu of dress photos.


1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8

Back when I posted my Redo Dress, Sarah A. and Irene asked about my method of sewing keyhole openings and making belts. My mom happened to be making a belt the other day, so it was the perfect opportunity to photograph our method. The keyhole tutorial will be up in a week or two!

First of all, you will need to cut 2 strips of fabric, each one being twice the inside width of your belt, plus 3/8". For this belt, the inside width of the buckle was 7/8", so she cut each strip of fabric 2 1/8" wide.


You also need to cut two strips of interfacing; we use a heavyweight type that is actually for home decor. Be sure to choose a thick enough interfacing, otherwise your belt will tend to fold as you wear it. Cut each strip the actual width of the inside of your belt buckle.
You can also use belting instead of interfacing as I did for my pleated 1950s dress. (See * below second picture).


Fuse the interfacing onto the wrong side of your fabric, making sure that the interfacing is centered on the fabric strip, and that you have at least 1/8" on the end to fold over later.


Once you have fused each strip of interfacing, it is time to form the point of your belt! Mark the center of your interfacing on the point end. Then iron over the end of the strip, as in the picture below. Once the end is folded over, fold each side of the strip over into a point, lining up the edges with your center mark. Press.

*If you are using belting, simply cut your piece of belting the desired length, cutting one end into a point or angle, and follow the directions below for folding the fabric around it. You will then remove the belting from the piece you just ironed and repeat the same techniques with the other half. Then sew it together following these same instructions.


Next, fold over and press the fabric edges. The interfacing edge makes it very easy to fold the fabric over evenly!


Repeat with the other side of the belt.


Once you have pressed both sides of each belt strip, you are ready to sew!


Using a hand sewing needle and thread, blind stitch the point end of the belt together so that it stays perfectly aligned.


Now it's time to sew the belt together! I prefer to use my regular presser foot, but my mom likes to use the zipper foot. Try each one out to see which way is easier for you!
Start sewing at the point of the belt, just 1/8" from the edge. Sew to the end of the belt and repeat with the other edge.




Now that your belt is sewn together, it's time to add the finishing touches! If your buckle has a prong, as this one does, sew (or install) eyelets in the appropriate places, and sew the belt to the buckle. You can also add a belt loop as my mom did.


If you have an ordinary slide buckle, you can either permanently sew the belt to the buckle or use our nifty little buckle-sharing method;


The buckle is slid onto the point end of your belt.



A hook is then sewn onto the point end of the belt, with a corresponding eye (or eyes) on the other end of the belt in the desired places;


Since pretty vintage buckles are rather scarce, this method seems quite sensible as it allows you to share buckles between many different dresses.


The end result!

I apologize for being so long-winded, but with tutorials it is hard to be otherwise! If you have any questions, please let me know!

And as if there aren't already enough photos in this post, here's a couple of sneak peeks of my current projects. :)




I'll be back on Friday with Vol. II of Woman's Home Companion!

• Special thanks to my mom for letting me distract her sewing with my photography! ;) •



Follow Me on Pinterest

23 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this tutorial Esther! I have some dresses in the works, and I was thinking about adding a vintage belt to one. I really like the fabric your mom is using for her dress. The buttons and ric-rac look terrific with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Sarah!! I'm glad this was helpful!
      I can't wait to share pictures of my mom's dress - it is indeed beautiful! :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful tutorial! I can't wait to try out some of your tips & tricks. I just love that fabric your mom was using, and I am so looking forward to seeing what that nifty nautical fabric is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle!
      All of these comments about my nautical dress have invigorated me to finish it!! :) The only problem is...I have to wait until we go fishing to photograph it. Oh boy. ;)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the great tutorial! I found it easy to follow, especially with the lovely photos; usually sewing guides go right over my head and I have to pester my mum on how to do things. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Milky Usagi!! I'm so glad to hear this was easy to follow - it's always hard to know if I'm making sense or not! :)

      Delete
  4. Thank-you SO much! I just made a shirt dress and have enough fabric left over to make a belt. Yeah!
    That preview of the sailor dress is adorable! I love, love anything nautical! Can't wait to see when you post that dress.
    Now, to start on my belt.....
    Irene ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Irene!! I would love to see your shirt dress!
      I hope to post the sailor dress soon; I can't wait too! ;)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this wonderful tutorial Esther! I certainly will have to come back and use it next time I make a belt.

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    P.S. I CAN'T WAIT(!) To see that anchor dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Brigid! I hope you can use it sometime!
      Oh goody! I'm so glad everybody's excited about the anchor dress! I needed a little incentive to finish it, and now I've got it! :)

      Delete
  6. Great tutorial, Esther! Thanks for sharing your method. Very easy and I will be using it soon on a red dress with a silver and pearl buckle I picked up. :) Looking forward to the keyhole tutorial!

    Blessings,
    SARAH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah A.!! I'm glad it will be of use to you! That dress sounds just beautiful!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing this great tutorial! I have two dresses that call for fabric belts, but the instructions weren't very clear and when I tried it failed miserably! I love seeing all your beautiful dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Emily!! I hope this helps - I know, the instructions can be quite vague!!
      Thank you!! :)

      Delete
  8. Amazing tutorial.
    Pictures do tell more than words - especially when sewing is involved. :)

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marija!! I completely agree. :)

      Delete
  9. This is great! I always need belts to match my dresses. Wonderful tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely fantastic! Thank you very much for sharing your wisdom and expertise on belt making with us, sweet dear. I'm going to include this post in my next edition of "Vintage Link Love" at the end of the month, as I know it will appeal to scores of my readers who are sewers.

    Wishing you a gorgeous weekend!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jessica!! Oooh, I can't wait! :D

      Delete
  11. So glad fabric, handmade belts are making a comeback! I love belts matching my blouse, skirt, or dress. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much for these instructions. I have been following your blog for the last few months. Really enjoy it. I have been making some dresses that needed a belt. I made my first belt with covered buckle today (it has probably been close to 45-50 years since I did one). Went out without a hitch. Have another already cut and ready to make in the next day or so. Love your blog and such encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)