Monday, February 2, 2015

• 1940s Gumdrop Dress •


...Otherwise known as Gumdrop #2. 
Gumdrop #1 is still in fabric form, waiting to be transformed into a 1950s dress.
All that aside, I made another '40s dress! (surprise!)
Lily posted a few weeks back about her 1940s dress, and I fell in love with it immediately. The design is so simple, and yet so detailed! We actually had the pattern on hand, Butterick 5951, so just a few days later I produced this dress. And I couldn't be happier. It is one of those dresses that you just feel good in. It's a wear-it-every-day-dress.


I had looked at this fabric for weeks and months, but never thought it was much to write home about. One day a few weeks ago, however, I picked it up and *boom!* fell in love with it. I ended up only using 3 1/3 yards of fabric for this dress, thanks to the fact that it has no nap. I just love dresses that don't take much material!

The very same day that I bought the fabric, we went to an antique store and found this delicious green buckle that just *happened* to match the fabric perfectly. That was definitely Providential.


And, we just *happened* to have four perfect little green buttons in the stash as well. I just love it when that happens!!


I did not want to line the whole bodice, so I just made neckline facings. I also put in a keyhole opening and a side zipper, as Lily recommended.

Speaking of zippers, I bartered with my mom and got a brown metal zipper to use. I was a little leery of it at first, I mean, a metal zipper? Won't it be scratchy or something? All of my fears dissipated as soon as I put the dress on. It's actually more comfortable than regular zippers. It's super-bendy and just amazingly comfortable, not to mention flat and easy to sew! I'm hooked!!


I was thrilled to actually have to widen the shoulders of the dress for once! I know...that sounds a little weird. Recently I had been having to take in the shoulders in every single dress that I made because the pattern called for shoulder pads. I was starting to doubt whether I really had wide shoulders anymore!! My fears are now relinquished, thank goodness. ;)


We found this whimsical hat a few weeks ago and fell. in. love. It is daringly whimsical, at least for me, but I actually like it more than most of our other hats! The brown color matches a lot of outfits, nicely enough.

It ended up being ridiculously snowy out yesterday, so we had a very interesting photo shoot. Freeeeeezing cold, snow-covered minks, and whiteout conditions just between where I was and the camera! We managed to get a few good ones though, thankfully. I love the snow, it's just annoying when it complicates picture-taking!

• Photography by my mom
Follow Me on Pinterest

8 comments:

  1. The dress turned out lovely Esther! And that fabric is such fun! Especially when you happen to have matching buttons and a buckle. :)

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brigid!! Isn't the fabric fun?!! I can't help but think of gumdrops whenever I see it. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, how I love this! I think that fabric is perfect - it makes me think of a feedsack from the 30s or 40s. How sweet of the Lord to let you find that matching buckle. Too, too cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Miss Michelle!! It actually is a reproduction feedsack print from the 1930s.
      It was indeed very sweet!! :) Isn't God great?!!

      Delete
  3. Love your dress-from the style to your choice of fabric! May I ask where you purchased the
    fabric? Also I would like to ask on back of pattern envelope where it lists the fabric choices,
    what is the difference between cottons and laundered cottons? I would think they are the same
    plus we also wash it before sewing.
    Thanks!
    Beautiful job as always, how nice if we can have a sew-together!
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irene! I bought the fabric at a local quilt shop - it is a fairly old print by Windham Fabrics. You can buy it here: http://www.fabricessentials.com/shop/Fabric/StyleTheme/1930s--1940s/p/Windham-Fabrics--Feedsack-VI--309178Brown-x5013181.htm
      As far as I know, laundered cotton just means you've washed it.
      Thanks so much for your lovely comments, as always!! :)

      Delete
  4. As always, you've done a wonderful job with this dress! The buckle and buttons give the brown fabric a lot of pop and makes it stand out a lot, so they were really lucky finds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Milky Usagi!! I was indeed blessed to find them!! :)

      Delete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)