Monday, October 20, 2014

• 1950s Favorite Fall Dress •


Months ago, I saw this fabric at JoAnn and fell in love with it. I ended up only getting enough for an apron and just loved it. A few months later, Lily of Mode de Lis posted about her fall dress, which happened to be made of the same fabric. I knew I had to have one like it. I was thrilled to find that JoAnn still had it in stock when we went back!


Since the neck had to be higher anyway, I decided to substitute a slightly different collar using Burda 7179. The collar isn't as big as the Simplicity pattern, but I still like it.
The only other alteration I made was making the sleeves less fitted. I love this dress!


The fabric called for big buttons, so these waffly ones fit the bill perfectly. 


I have been on the hunt for more vintage shoes, and found these online from DSW. They are leather, which makes them quite comfortable, and they have wooden heels! (very vintage)
This hat was my first vintage hat purchase ever from a local antique store.


My mom and I went out for a photo shoot in our matching fall dresses. It was such a beautiful day, we just couldn't resist going over to the nature preserve for some pictures. We got a few strange looks from passers by as we walked through the woods in high heels and petticoats.
Hop over to her blog to see more pictures.




Thanks for visiting!
Thanks for the great photography, Mom!
Visit the blog live to leave a comment

the end.
.


Follow Me on Pinterest

8 comments:

  1. Your dress turned out beautifully! The print is so fun! Isn't Lily of Mode-de-lis so inspiring? I am constantly awed by her work.

    Blessings,

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Brigid!! Lily is most definitely inspiring. Everything she makes is so beautiful!! :)
      Thanks for the comment!!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful dress! The style and fabric are lovely. I really liked the photos of you and your mom!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love vintage-y style things. You did a beautiful job making the dress, and the photography is gorgeous!

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. Pepper! I love vintage things as well!
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I have the same fabric as your mom's dress!!! I plan to save it for just the right project, as it is SOOO pretty. I love how it looks made into a dress! (Both your dresses are so very pretty. LOVE the truly modest and classic style. :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so neat!! It is definitely a beautiful fabric.
      Thank you, Sarah!! :)

      Delete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)