Monday, February 16, 2015

Flowers in the Snow • 1940s Dress

*EDIT: This dress is now for sale in my Etsy shop.  See the listing here.*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~



About a week ago we had a day of blissfully warm weather (46°), which made for a perfect opportunity to photograph a very springy dress! It was awfully bright for my sensitive Norwegian eyeballs though, so I had to opt for the sunglasses look.

I made this dress shortly after finishing my black one because I loved the simplicity of the pattern. It's one of those patterns that seems complex at first, but when you make it you discover how easy it is!
I got this fabric several years ago at Hancock Fabrics, and shortly afterward decided that I did not like it. So, I traded with my mom for her share of some pink plaid that we had gotten together.
A few weeks back, however, it happened. I fell in love with the yellow fabric again! Thankfully, my mom was sweet enough to trade it back to me. I am so glad! It's just such a pretty, springy fabric.



It was one of those days in which I did. not. feel like messing around with fancy hairdos for hours, so I opted for a snood. I actually like them quite well, I just forget to wear them! They're bad-hair-day-friendly too, which is a huge bonus. 


I love the subtle details of the dress! The pleats add just the right touch. 


These big candy buttons are my absolute favorites. I never knew what they would ever be good for, so I was excited to find that they matched this fabric!
As with my black dress, I raised the neckline 1 1/2", and instead of having a button/snap closure, I prickstitched the bodice to the yoke 3/4 of the way across. That way I still can get it on and off easily, but I don't have to deal with the bulkiness and annoyance of snaps or buttonholes.
I lined the bodice with batiste, as per my sheer hatred towards lining fabric. I did not line the skirt.


Since buckles are so seemingly sparse, we developed a neat (or wacky, however you look at it) way of using buckles for multiple different dresses. Instead of sewing the belt to the buckle, we just thread the pointed end of the belt through the buckle, sew a hook to that end, and then a corresponding eye to the correct spot on the other end of the belt. It seems to work quite nicely! I already share this buckle with my green shirtdress.


Unfortunately, my favorite shoes are wearing out awfully fast. I just got them this past summer, and already I have had to replace the rubber part of the heels because one spontaneously fell off. Now they are just showing tons of scuff marks everywhere. It's so sad! I'm going to have to look for some new (quality) shoes.


• Photography by my mom

No, I didn't throw it at her.
:)

Follow Me on Pinterest

8 comments:

  1. The print is really pretty up close; very spring like and cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Milky Usagi! It is very spring like! Too bad the weather isn't the same way. ;)

      Delete
  2. Ooo! I love this fabric too! I have this pattern, but have not used it yet. I'll definitely have to use it now that I see it in a sweet floral print. =) I'm beginning to itch to make something springy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Michelle! You definitely should make it. It's so fun and pretty - especially in a drapy fabric. :)

      Delete
  3. I love that trick with buckles, I have never thought about it before! I'll be sure to use that as I'm always reluctant to use my buckles for fear of 'not putting them on the right dress'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alecia! I'm glad I could be a help! I can completely relate to that reluctance. :)

      Delete
  4. The dress is lovely Esther! And your idea for a belt buckle is so clever! I might have to try that sometime...

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brigid!! It is pretty fun to be able to switch out the buckles! :)

      Delete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)