Friday, March 27, 2015

Stashbusting • 1940s Belted Blouse


Volume II of the Woman's Home Companion will be up next Friday, but today I needed to post my Historical Sew Monthly project! The challenge for this month is stashbusting, but unfortunately, my stash is not very prolific since I haven't been sewing for years on end! While others have bins full of stashed fabric, I seem to sew almost as much as I buy. I suppose that could be looked at as a good thing to the un-knowing soul, but to a seamstress it is rather unfortunate. I have a feeling the stash will grow to a more wholesome size as the months go by, so I can take comfort in that thought! ;)


As I mentioned in an earlier post, we found some vintage patterns at a recent trek to the antique shop. I just loved the style of this blouse, and was so excited to make it! The pattern is a cinch to make, and the style looks great in these fabrics. There's just one problem; it looks terrible on me.

There is a silver lining to this cloud, however, because it happens to look beautiful on my mom! I was a little disappointed about it at first, but I really don't mind. I've never been able to pull of the belted-blouse look, so it wasn't a great shock. And now, my mom has a new blouse! Yay! :)


I have had both of these fabrics for ages; I bought the blue for a dress, originally, but it was back in the days of my sewing ignorance, so it never came into being. 
Instead, I made a regency apron (which also fits my mom better than me....what's up with that?), a housecleaning/nursery apron, and still had enough leftover to make the accents on this blouse. I love the two fabrics together, and the contrast is just perfect on the blouse.


The pattern features a yoke that is topstitched onto the front and back bodice. I am becoming quite a fan of that method of sewing seams. It's rather nifty, in my opinion!
The back bodice has slight gathers at the shoulders on each side, and the front bodice has a dart extending down from the shoulder. It's a very comfortable, well-fitting design (if it's your style).


As for the skirt; it is a variation of McCall 6993, with a waistband instead of the detailed yoke. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit either. I was still learning about making skirts when I made it last year, so I made it with a couple of inches of ease at the waist. Not a very good idea. At all. If I was diligent and industrious, I would remake it. Ahem.

Apparently I should have titled this post "The Outfit That Doesn't Fit Me"! ;) 

The Challenge: Stashbusting
Fabric: Two coordinating cottons, purchased at JoAnn
Pattern: Vintage Hollywood Pattern 926
Year: 1941-5
Notions: Thread, buttons
How historically accurate is it? Perfectly, aside from the serging on seams
Hours to complete: 5-6
First worn: Around the house last week! 
Total cost: $20


Follow Me on Pinterest

16 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the little collar too, it's perfect :)
    ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Theresa! (I assume it's you!) ;)

      Delete
  2. Your mom's very lucky to have this! I frequently have the problem that when I make garments, they look too big for me - but then again I am a beginner. Still, it counts as practice and I'm sure your mom is thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Milky Usagi! She is pretty happy with it, I'm glad to say! :)
      As for the sizing of your garments, be sure to check the finished measurements of each pattern because a lot of the time the pattern companies allow a lot (sometimes too much) ease. I find that to be the case often with skirts especially - they need to be made very close-fitting, but the patterns allow for a couple of inches of ease!
      I hope that helps! :)

      Delete
  3. Lucky Mom! It would be nice to see photo of her modeling it. Hard to imagine it not looking good on you, for everything you sew is becoming and beautiful on you.
    Again, another very pretty garment!
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irene! I'll have to do a photo shoot of her wearing it one of these days. :)

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely blouse, and glad it works for your Mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving those colors together - so spring-tastic. (Yeah, I just made up that word.)
    What a bummer that it doesn't fit. Well, at least it fits someone who will appreciate it, right? :D
    Awesome job in any case, my friend!

    Love,
    Michelle ^_^

    P.S. Sorry I'm just now commenting. I had a pretty busy day yesterday & didn't get a chance to visit BlogLand. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, spring-tastic? I love it! :)
      Thank you, Michelle! And there's no problem with the comment - I can definitely relate! :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely blouse Esther! I am sure your mom is thrilled. : ) It is such a stylish blouse. I love the color combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! She is very happy to have it, I'm glad to say! :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my heavens! You sew beautifully! What a fabulous blouse! Makes me want to start sewing "newer" garments!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Gina!! You're so sweet! :)

      Delete
  8. This is so splendidly lovely, dear Esther. Beautiful use of mixed patterns. This has to be one of the most spring appropriate blouses I've ever seen. You are such a gifted, inspiring seamstress.

    Tons of hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)