Friday, February 20, 2015

Excerpts From the Past • Circa 1944


Since our stash of vintage magazines and paraphernalia is rapidly growing, I thought it was about time to share some of it! I enjoy seeing Brigid's magazine scans so much!

It was fun to come up with little vintage objects to photograph with the pamphlet! I opted for my grandma's pinking shears, an old [old] measuring tape, and bobbins from my great-grandma's treadle machine.

This little pamphlet is from 1944, and features adorable housedresses and aprons. It's hard to imagine the USDA releasing pamphlets with such lovely contents!!

Click on each image to enlarge for a clearer picture.


This is my favorite out of all of the dresses. In fact, I have a pattern for a very similar dress that I might just make out of the fabric in the top picture. I love ruffles. And quick to iron? Now I know I need one!!


The descriptions for these dresses are in the picture below.


It is so interesting to read about each design and the handy features for around-the-house wear. Back pleats for easy movement, roomy skirts for stooping, and of course pockets!
I love the picture of the lady getting her mail.



And now....aprons!! Each one is designed, just as the dresses are, for practicality and ease while doing housework.


A mop apron? So nifty! I need one of those too.


And lastly, this lovely jacket. It looks so practical and comfy, and the idea of lining it with flannel sounds....really good.

I hope you enjoyed these pictures! I'm planning on continuing this "Excerpts From the Past" series, so there will be more lovely magazine scans up here before long!


Follow Me on Pinterest

10 comments:

  1. This is really interesting and fun to read. The clothes remind me of my grandma. Question. Why on the last page does it read 'US Printing Office 1948'? I'm just curious. It's so neat that it sold for .5 cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Theresa!! I should have clarified, this pamphlet was originally put out in 1944, and was reprinted in 1948. Thanks for asking! :)

      Delete
  2. I love the look of the "Tailored Dress" And the "U-neck Dress". They both look so practical, especially with the "action pleats". Thanks so much for sharing Esther!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer
    boyerfamilysingersblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brigid! Aren't they the best? I just wish everyone still dressed like that, don't you? :)

      Delete
    2. Oh yes. Ladies would certainly be a lot classier than nowadays when they just wear jeans and a t-shirt (though I can raise my hand as being a part of that guilty party ever so occasionally, though wearing a skirt instead of said jeans). *sigh*

      Blessings,

      Brigid

      Delete
    3. Brigid, You're so right. Ladies looks perfectly elegant and classy in jeans and t-shirts. ;)
      I too am guilty of the skirt and t-shirt (and comfy sweatshirt) once in a blue moon. Thankfully though, that look is getting more and more rare as my "pretty clothes" wardrobe grows bigger!

      Delete
  3. This is a really interesting read. I especially love the " U-neck dress". Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Milky Usagi!! It is so much fun to read old stuff. I'm quite addicted! ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh, what fun! I love the "winged" pinafore! The mop apron is intriguing. I'm having a little difficulty in figuring out how it works. It's always such a pain to wash the floor in a skirt - this would be a nice solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Michelle, I know, I just adore that winged pinafore!! I want....fifty of them.
      That mop apron is really nifty, isn't it? My mom described it as wrapping underneath from back to front, and then the "pocket" hangs down to cover up the evidence. ;) It is definitely a nice solution!!

      Delete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)