I made this dress (affectionately known as "the boat dress") way back in March, anticipating a full season of fishing, starting with coho fishing in the middle of March. As it turns out, this has been one of the worst years for fishing ever, so this dress hasn't had a whole lot of experience yet!
We did manage to catch a few panfish... :)
I used Simplicity 1587 for the bodice, and Simplicity 3688 for the skirt. The main fabric is a cotton I found at our local quilt shop; I admired and agonized over it for months, but didn't decide to get it until there were just 3 teeny little yards left. Thankfully, I was able to squeeeeze this dress out of those three yards, with absolutely no extra fabric left. Not even enough for a back facing. :)
The contrasting fabric is linen from a blouse we had saved for just such a purpose.
The linen drapes quite nicely in the linen fabric!
This is my fourth rendition of this pattern. See the others here:
My first rendition of this pattern was early on in my sewing experience, and made from a polyester crepe, which fought me every step of the way. But ever since then, making it with cottons, I've found it to be one of the easiest patterns out there. It's a great pattern for beginners and experienced seamstresses alike!
My 1840s dress is taking a little longer than planned; I didn't use a strong thread when I made the cartridge pleats, so I already had one of the pleating threads break. Very sad. Needless to say, we invested in several colors of button and craft thread, so now I've got to get the skirt and waistband redone. It shouldn't take long, especially since my pleat markings are still intact.
There's always something new to learn! :)
Happy Labor Day to all of you!