Tuesday, April 28, 2015

• Simplicity 1587, Version I •


Although I made this dress back in October, we just got around to photographing it yesterday! We meant to take pictures of it when we were on vacation last fall, but it was much too cold not to be bundled up in winter coats constantly!

Since then I've made three more renditions of this pattern, the second of which I have posted about here. The others should be up here soon!


I like this pattern quite well (as evidenced by my desire to make it again and again); the details are so cute! I just love the bow and the soft pleats at the neckline.


I found this fabric (polyester crepe) for $1 a yard at our local fabric shop. I bought 5 yards, which turned out to be a very good thing! When I made the dress, I cut the skirt and yoke like the pattern, but due to the "crispness" of the fabric, the gathers did not look well at all. As such, I had to cut a new skirt using Vogue 8767.

Aside from those issues with the fabric, it drapes beautifully in this pattern.


My mom found this lovely belt at a thrift store, and it happened to be the perfect color to match my dress!


I was having trouble sewing in the elastic on the sleeves, so instead I simply gathered them and sewed them down.

I had been having issues sewing this dress from the start; first I carefully marked the pleats on the yoke front pieces with a water-soluble marker and then used a damp press cloth and a steamy iron to press the pieces before I sewed them, causing all of the marks to disappear completely. 

There were some other minor foibles as well, but the other main one was that unbeknownst to me, my needle was terribly dull and snaggy, so it kept pulling threads in the fabric as I sewed the sleeves and hem. It's always great when you discover such things after the damage is done, isn't it?

In any case, ever since then this pattern has gone perfectly smooth for me, I'm glad to report!


The old train station wall served as a nice backdrop once again! 
Thanks to my mom for the lovely photographs!

P.S. Don't forget to enter Emily's Spring 1940s Photo Contest over at Emily's Vintage Visions! Thursday the 30th is the last day to enter.
Follow Me on Pinterest

23 comments:

  1. What a lovely dress, Esther! That blue suits you very well. I just love your hat! I've made that pattern once, but the fabric I made it from was very cheap {though the print was just perfect}. I managed to rip the sleeve seam whilst wearing it & haven't gotten around to finding a way to salvage it.

    You did a terrific job on this pretty dress! I love the background for your photos as well. :D
    {hugs}
    Michelle ^_^
    Delightful Handwork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Michelle!! Aww, I'm sorry to hear about your dress! I hope you can find a way to fix it soon (and blog about it! hint, hint). ;)

      Thanks for commenting as always, my friend!! :)

      Delete
  2. Your dress is just perfect for springtime! Your necklace and hat look beautiful with the dress too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sarah!! It is indeed a great dress for springtime; winter, not so much. I froze to death in it last winter when we were in MN. I learned my lesson about polyester crepe fabric in below 45 degree weather! ;)
      The necklace was my Grandma's, and I'm so glad to hear you like it together! :)

      Delete
  3. Great job Esther! Another lovely creation! And yes, perfect for my photo contest. :) (I moved the deadline back to May 3rd to give everyone a few more days.) Polyester fabric of any kind can certainly be a challenge to work with. I always try to use a fresh needle in my machine if I'm going to be working with fabric that is prone to snag easily. It helps but depending on the fabric doesn't always solve the problem.
    -Emily
    Emily's Vintage Visions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily!! I just can't wait to hear about the outcome of your photo contest and see all of the lovely photos!! :)
      I think that's a wonderful idea to just use a fresh needle - why didn't I think of that?

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely pattern, and the colour of it is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a flattering, classic pattern. I love it on you and in general. I suspect it would look wonderful on the majority of women, which is a lot rarer for most modern dresses (as us vintage gals know well).

    You look as pretty as a springtime garden!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jessica!! I love the pattern too! That is indeed a rarity to find something that looks lovely on pretty much everyone!
      :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely Dress Esther! And I love your shoes too! So cute!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brigid!! Oh, my poor shoes. They're dying of a giant crack in the sole. *tear*
      The upside to that is that I get to buy more shoes. :) And that's always a good thing!

      Delete
  7. Really love the delicate colour of this dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kaitlyn! I love the colour too!

      Delete
  8. so beautiful esther! I love the fabric and that draped bow. And that hat. Lovely :)
    ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Theresa!! You're so sweet!

      Delete
  9. You look adorable Esther. I love the neckline detailing and seam placement on thre bodice. vintage patterns are the best. is this an original vintage pattern or a reissued one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Justine!! Vintage patterns definitely are the best!! :)
      This is a reissued pattern - Simplicity 1587.
      Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  10. Foibles aside - the end product turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that fabric looks so delightfully light and floaty! It suits the pattern so well, and looks lovely on you. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)