Monday, June 15, 2015

• Aluminum Overcast B-17 & 1940s Dresses •


Last week, the WWII B-17 Aluminum Overcast flew into an airport nearby us, so we just had to go check it out (and take some pictures by it)! It was an amazing experience!



They were offering half-hour flights, but at $475 per person, that was just a tad over-budget. Maybe next time, right? ;)
Nevertheless, just to be able to go through and walk around the plane was very amazing.


Among other exciting events, we got to meet Captain America! ;) I had heard of Captain America before, but hadn't a clue who he was, what he did, or that he existed during WWII. Now I know!!



My mom and I wore our coordinating 1940s dresses. We actually made them early this year, but never got around to photographing them until now.
I discovered a rather displeasing issue as I started laying out the pattern; the fabric was noticeably faded on the fold, and in several other spots where it had obviously been exposed to the light for too long. That was not very encouraging! I worked around the faded spots as much as I could, putting them in the least noticeable places; near the sides of the bodice, and in the back of the skirt. It ended up being hardly noticeable at all! And what I initially thought would be a least favorite dress turned out to be a top favorite!



This dress is the third rendition I have made of Simplicity 1587. See the first and second here and here. I really like the pattern, but have forced myself to retire it for the time being since I have a total of four different dresses from that pattern.

I love the subtle details of the pattern; the elasticized ruching on the sleeves, and the gorgeous gathered detailing on the skirt. 


My mom made her dress from a vintage Anne Adams pattern. I bought the pattern last year, hoping it would look good on me, but it ended up looking a thousand times better on her. Her buttery yellow flower-laden fabric is just perfect for the pattern!


I found the buttons for her, however, so....don't I get partial credit for the dress??
Aren't they just absolutely delicious?!


The dress looks lovely with or without a belt. The buckle she uses for it is a universal favorite around here; it matches so many different things! 

And now for a few airplane photos!!






A very narrow plank through the bomb bay! 






All in all, it was an amazing experience to be able to get a close-up look at a plane that was involved in WWII. Let us never forget!!
Follow Me on Pinterest

20 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks really exciting! I know that my dad would have loved to see that, him being a lover of things to do with the World Wars.
    You two look really pretty, especially with how authentic the photos look with the plane is as a backdrop. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very exciting!
      Thank you so much, Ellie!! I know...I could use a WWII plane every week for photo shoots! ;)

      Delete
  2. I just finished making the exact same dress you wore (mine had a bow in the front)!!! It is definitely my favorite style right now!
    Had you really never heard about captain America? He is my FAVORITE super hero and he was from the 1940's which makes it even better:)
    -Madison
    www.1minniemuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your dress, Madison and I absolutely LOVE it!! The green is gorgeous and looks perfect on you.
      Nope, I really didn't know about Captain America! Crazy how that works, isn't it?
      Thanks for commenting!! :)

      Delete
  3. You and your mom look terrific! I love both dress styles and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU GOT TO SEE A B-17!!!! LUCKY! That would be positively amazing! Oh, and I love your dress by the way! Such a darling fabric to go with such a lovely dress style.

    Blessings,
    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahhh!! :) It was positively amazing!
      Thanks so much, Brigid! :)

      Delete
  5. The dress is great. Glad you were able to work around the fading. Such a fresh, pretty summer dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kaitlyn! I am very glad as well! :)

      Delete
  6. These old war birds are so grand and impressive up close. I'm in awe every time I get to see one! There was a B-17 and a few other bombers including two B-24s, a B-25 and the last flying B-29, at the Reading Airshow recently but I don't think this was one of them. I'm still going through my photos but hope to have them posted soon. Lovely dresses by the way. You and your mom look splendid as always!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just great? Oh my! It must have been amazing to see all those planes.
      Thank you so much, Emily!!

      Delete
  7. Fabulous dress! You look so cute! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both dresses are so deeply beautiful! I especially love the blend of purple and red on yours, dear Esther. That's a colour combo I was told not to wear a child, yet it can work splendidly and I've happily disproved such advice many times - and adore seeing others do the same.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica!!
      I love red and purple together - they're such rich colors that seem to set each other off quite well! :)
      Thanks for commenting as always!

      Delete
  9. My family would have loved to have seen that aircraft.

    The dresses are also so beautiful - I am becoming more and more interested in 40s and 50s fashion.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca! I'm so glad to hear you're interested in vintage fashion! It is so feminine and beautiful, you just can't go wrong with it! :)

      Delete
  10. Ahh! The fabrics! All the floral fabrics! Seriously Esther, I really love all the beautiful fabrics you and your mother sew with, and the dresses you make up with them are really too cute. You both look wonderful and I love that your mother sews with you. I think it must be so nice to share your hobby together like that. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Aww, thank you so much, Bonita!! You're so sweet!
      It is indeed wonderful to share the hobby with my mom. I don't know what I'd do without her! :)

      Delete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)