Wednesday, December 23, 2015

• 1940s Christmas Plaid Dress •


And now for Christmas Dress #2!!! :)

Maeberry Vintage was having a sale several weeks ago, and when I saw this adorable dress, I just couldn't resist it. 1940s. Right size. Right length (!!!!). And the only issue was a couple of teeny stains on the third scallop from the top. Thankfully, they washed out so well that they are hard to even locate. The fun part is, the brand name is Fruit of the Loom! I have a feeling they don't make dresses like this anymore. 

I was definitely born in the wrong era.


The design of the dress is fairly simple, but SO cute!! I love the little bias-bound scallops, and the black buttons are the perfect touch.

The neckline is quite fun too!


I was able to let the hem down around an inch, which made it the perfect length. (And I sewed on rayon seam binding....I LOVE that stuff!!)

The waist length of the bodice is a tad short, but I borrowed the green belt from my Kerrybrooke 1950s dress to hide that fact. :)

And in case you were wondering, yes, it is made of diagonal plaid fabric! My mom is planning to make a dress just like this out of some diagonal plaid fabric that she bought, so we were very curious to see if this dress was bias or straight-grain.


I wasn't intending to make yet another Christmas dress, but it sort of happened anyway! :) I pulled out the leftover plaid fabric from my Pleated 1900s Skirt and managed to squeeze a dress out of it! So now I'm all set in the Christmas dress department. No shortage of things to wear this season!! ;)


The side opening on this dress is absolutely ingenious. The buttons on the front are just decorative; they don't unbutton, so there has to be a way to get in the dress, right? Well, I naturally assumed that the dress had a zipper, but I was definitely mistaken! Instead it has one of the niftiest side openings I've ever seen!

The dress has a pocket on the right side, so when you look at the left side, you think that it just has a buttoned pocket. Wrong! It's actually a gusset-like opening that unbuttons and gives you enough room to take the dress on and off.


This has got to be the niftiest thing I've ever seen! I can't wait to try it on one of my dresses!


I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas! Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift!!

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6
Follow Me on Pinterest

16 comments:

  1. As far as I can tell from the photos, the bias-bound scallops are just decorative, sewn into the front seam? If so, I really like that idea for embellishment...might try incorporating that into a future project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kira! Sorry for not responding sooner; I have been fearfully lax in the comment-replying area!! :(
      You are exactly right; the scallops are purely decorative. It is a really nifty way to embellish, as you say! :) Thanks for asking!

      Delete
  2. This dress is so perfect for Christmas!! Absolutely love the colors an print:)
    -Madison
    www.1minniemuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Madison! :) It was indeed just the right color scheme!

      Delete
  3. Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! I love your dress! What a wonderful gift that it was in your size and so adorable!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the scallops down the front! Too too darling! The color of the plaid is so awesome. I am so beyond happy for you that you got this dress!!
    Blessings!
    g

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful dress! It suits you perfectly Esther! And that is indeed a very nifty side opening. I may have to try that on a dress some time.

    A very merry Christmas to you and yours!

    Blessings in Him,

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brigid! :) I am eager to try that method of side opening as well!
      Thanks again! :)

      Delete
  5. Love love love it! Well done on those scallops - you have more patience than I, haha. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren! I would love to take credit for the gorgeous scallops, but I didn't actually make the dress! It's a 1940s Fruit of the Loom dress that I purchased online. So no...I'm afraid I probably have LESS patience than you. ;) Especially judging by the gorgeous stuff you make!!
      Thanks again! :)

      Delete
  6. Oooh! The details of this dress are super cute!! I adore those scallops, and that side opening is GENIUS! Is there anyway to get a better look at it? I would love to try this instead of a zipper, because ~ pockets are everything and zippers are somewhat painful! XD Lol!! *✬ ❤ ✬*

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Bonita! I will send you some pictures of that side opening. It is really nifty, and yes, so much easier than zippers or anything, I have a feeling! ;)

      Delete
  7. Absolutely beautiful dress! The magic is in the details here, so to speak, and really turn this into a memorable garment (that looks flat out fantastic on you!).

    Many hugs & joyful holiday season wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jessica!! You're so sweet! :)

      Delete
  8. What a genius side opening. I love these little details on vintage pieces, besides how beautiful they are of course. Such a superb dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christina!! I love the unique details on vintage garments as well; they had a lot of imagination back then! :)

      Delete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)