Tuesday, January 2, 2018

• A Day in the Year 1812 •



I think I have officially set a new record in the area of blog neglect!  It has been a crazy, wild, stressful, eventful, heartbreaking, amazing 10 months or so.  Since I last posted (in March!!), I changed jobs from being a home seamstress for a local historical reproduction company to being a customer service rep at a local pharmacy/home medical provider.  Needless to say, working full time definitely cuts into sewing time, but I'm looking forward to sewing up some great winter separates as I have time, and hopefully will be able to blog about them too!

In any case, today I'm sharing some pictures from an 1812 event we went to back in October.  It was an absolute blast, and the amount of reenactors that were there was incredible!







There was lovely period music being played all over the place.  Sounded delightful!






One gentleman had the most incredible carved gourds for sale.  The artwork was just amazing!




So many ladies in beautiful outfits!!!  :) 




I kind of wanted all of these hats, but unfortunately didn't get any of them.  Great inspiration though for "someday"!




That little number on the left with the pheasant feathers reminds me of Miss Pole in Cranford!  :) 




The battle is beginning!!































There were SO MANY soldiers, it was crazy.  The battle was noisy and glorious!










Later in the day there was another battle on the river.







All the mommas with their little babies melted my heart <3




My mom whipped up her first regency dress the week of the event, and it came out so good!  She looked absolutely gorgeous.




I helped her out by trimming her bonnet for her.  I used a picture of an extant 1810s bonnet for inspiration.










I love the little bow detail on the back of the bonnet.




She used Simplicity 4055 as a base for her dress, and modified it to fit her liking.  It closes in the back with drawstrings, and we just pinned it shut for the time being, since we did not have time to sew on the hooks and eyes.







I had plans to make a new regency ensemble, but didn't have time, so just wore my trusty calico regency gown, this time without the undersleeves, since it was HOT out.  













I had purchased a pretty block-printed scarf at the same event a couple of years ago, so paired it with my dress for a slightly different look.  

I had drafted this post about a month and a half ago (LOL!), and just now am getting around to posting it.  I'm excited to report that over this past weekend, I dove right into sewing a UFO 1930s dress that I've had sitting around in a sad pile for over a YEAR, finished it, and started into several other projects!  I had been in a major sewing funk for 3-4 months, and got to the point of having thoughts of selling my fabric and just giving up on the whole idea of sewing.  I just could not get into the mood, or make up my mind what to make or anything, but I FINALLY got over that, and it feels AMAZING.  I'm super excited to sew up all sorts of fun things for not just myself but family and friends as well!  I'm feeling very encouraged about the new year and what it may be bringing.  Lots of sewing, becoming an "adopted" aunt to two precious new babies, and whatever else the Lord brings my way.  Happy New Year to all of you!  <3

Follow Me on Pinterest

8 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you're back to sewing again, I'm looking forward to seeing what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you again Esther.

    I do hope that 2018 will be less stressful for you and look forward to seeing further posts from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day! I love all those bonnets, they're adorable. As is yours and you mum's outfits. I'm glad to hear your back sewing. We all get weird periods like that, for one reason and another, but I'm happy that you got through to the other end. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Esther,

    I was so happy to see a new post from you. The 1812 event looks fantastic! May 2018 be a year of blessings and joy for you!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for such a fun post!!! :) Glad to see you back to blogging, AND BACK TO SEWING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never, ever think of giving it all up, even when you're in a blue funk for months! ;) I'm excited to see all the fun things you decide to sew up this year! Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these photos are so great! I love them! I usually don't get many good photos at reenactments because I don't like carrying around a big camera when in costume, but I just love your photography! So glad to read a new post! Can't wait for the next one!
    ~ Megan Joy

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see another post from you. Hope you have a great 2018 and I look forward to seeing what you create. Your outfits look adorable too by the way!
    Jennie from theuglydame.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad to see you are posting things again. I was sorry to hear of your father's passing and know from personal experience just how much change that can bring. It is a delight to see a close, Christian family with a love of history and good old-fashioned skills and values. This re-enactment looks like a great experience and you took some lovely photographs; the brilliant scarlet uniforms look stunning against the beautiful backdrop. I hope 2018 brings many blessings to you and your family as you continue to follow Him. Regards, Joy S.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)