Today's post is about a simple little blouse I made back in March of 2015. This post has been very long in the making!! ;) Somehow I just never got pictures of it, so we remedied that this past week.
The fabric was originally purchased for an apron, but true to form, I cobbed it for a garment instead. ;) The only problem was, there was just one yard of it, so I had to come up with a way to fit a blouse out of that amount. I settled on using Simplicity 1692, and sewed a strip of solid blue fabric on the bottom of the blouse, a couple of inches below the waist. I never wear the blouse untucked, so it works out just fine.
Things didn't go quite as smoothly as planned, however. First off, I had a dull needle, so it was pulling threads to its heart's content on the shoulder seams before I realized it. Boo. It has only taken me, what, 3 years? But I finally am remembering to check/change needles between projects, and in between times as well. It's definitely worth the very slight effort to avoid ruining a garment.
The second hiccup was one that is rather hilarious; I picked up the scissors to snip off a stray thread, and what do I do instead? Just snip a hole in the back of my blouse. No big deal, you know. AGH!!! I patched it up as best I could (which wasn't that good, but.....), so I don't really notice it now, but what a thing to do!!! Lesson learned; be extra careful when clipping threads with giant shears. :P
The neckline and sleeves are edged with baby ricrac, and a bow accents the front neckline. It's a very simple style, but a rather cute one nonetheless.
Ironically, I ended up making a scarf out of this striped fabric, which happened to be the accent fabric that I was going to use on the nautical apron. :) Rather unfortunate for my Etsy shop, but nice for me!!
Paired with the blouse is my Vogue 1019 skirt. My wardrobe is severely lacking in the skirt department, but I am working on a 1940s skirt right now, so hopefully that problem will be remedied soon.
Thanks for stopping by!! :)