Wednesday, December 9, 2015

• Brown & Cream 1940s Separates •


Believe it or not, I didn't forget about the fact that I have a blog! It just seems that way! ;)
I've been so busy ever since Thanksgiving (and before!) that I kept putting blogg-y things off until later, which translated into them not happening at all! Oops!

I am glad to be back into it though, and I can't wait to share my upcoming projects with you! A couple of Christmas dresses are in order, but I had better hurry up or I'll miss getting to wear them for Christmas entirely!

Last week our church had a Christmas banquet, so I whipped up a blouse (and a skirt) to wear to that. Unfortunately for me, the skirt didn't end up fitting, but fortunately for you, it's now for sale in the shop! :) Check it out here. I ended up wearing my '30s flannel skirt with it for the banquet, but the blouse matches pretty much all of my skirts, including Grandma's wedding skirt! I realize I did sort of break my vow not to wear it until I had the jacket made, but...you know...who can help wearing a pretty skirt that's just hanging there in their closet?!


I made the blouse out of the same fabric as Grandma's wedding blouse, which is a poly-rayon blend. It is very soft and comfortable, but not so fun to deal with! It does not take kindly to any stress on the seams, so I'm going to have to do a little fixing-up on a couple of them. :( GRR. Rayon is on my hate list right now.

But aside from that lovely little fact, I still really do love this blouse!!


I used Simplicity 2154 for the bodice, using Simplicity 3847 as a guide for the armhole and shoulder areas in order to accommodate sleeves. The sleeves are from Butterick 5846 (like my green and cream 1940s dresses).
I made the bow on the blouse quite a bit longer, and a little wider so that it would be "deliciously drapey." Ahem. ;)
I also cut the collar rounded on the front edges rather than pointed for a more 1930s-40s look.


Although Simplicity 2154 is technically a 1960s pattern (oh dear! 1960s!), it is very handy for making a variety of blouses and bodices from the '30s-50s. And the bonus is, it's as easy as pie to make! :)


I'm also a big fan of this skirt! It too was exceedingly easy to make, and fits quite well. Just for the record, I have worn it with Grandma's wedding blouse...just not for pictures yet. Maybe I'll reserve that honor for when I get the suit made.


I was going to entitle this post, "Of Dead Monkeys," but I thought it might throw everyone off a little bit. ;)

A few weeks back when I wore this fur piece to church, one of the little girls there saw me and said, "That looks like a dead monkey!" Another little girl piped in, "It does look like a dead monkey!"
I proceeded to explain to them that it was a mink, and a vintage one from the 1940s at that, to which they replied, "What's a mink?"

So now we have a name for these little fellas; Dead Monkeys. Very endearing, don't you think?
;)

I'll be back next week with (hopefully!) progress on my peppermint-y Christmas dress! See you then!

Follow Me on Pinterest

18 comments:

  1. Hahaha, dead monkeys! I have a mink wrap just like yours and I love it! I think the little guys are so cute, but not everyone does. ;) What a great mix and match outfit! Your blouse is just lovely and I can see it styled a ton of different ways!
    Happy Holidays!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. This ensemble looks lovely on you Esther! Your blouse is so gorgeously drape-y, I love it!

    Blessings,

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esther, I *love* the blouse! (the whole outfit, but I'm totally enamored with the blouse). I've been making several McCall 7591s to work on my blouse making skills, but overall I'm not as happy as I could be with aspects of the silhouette and the way it goes on (it buttons all the way up the back...awkward to put on!) It's inspiring to see how you chose certain elements from certain patterns to make something exactly right for you -- I think I'll give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Kira!! I hope franken-patterning works well for you! It's pretty fun to do, and you can get so many different looks, even with dresses.
      Merry Christmas! :)

      Delete
  4. I love this outfit - the contrast between the browns and whites are fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful - and very, very elegant - outfit, sweet Esther. The mix of warm browns and soft creams here are perfect for the tail end of autumn.

    Happiest December wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jessica! The colors are definitely season-appropriate, especially with the lack of snow! ;)

      Delete
  6. You look beautifully elegant. I really love this sweet blouse. I can imagine that it goes well with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my laaaaa!! I love your outfit!! The blouse is so sweet especially with the rounded collar. I recently purchased this pattern as I loved the look and so will have to make some of my collars rounded as well! I love your critters! Mom and I purchased matching critter stoles and are just waiting for something to wear them with! They have grown weary of just hanging around the room! You look wonderful Miss Esther!!!
    Blessings!
    g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you so much, Gina! Your comments always make me smile. You will definitely like using this pattern! It's very easy and very adaptable.
      I can't wait to see your critter stoles! :)

      Delete
  8. I am woefully behind in commenting on your lovely posts, which I have thoroughly enjoyed as of late. :) This blouse turned out so pretty, as all the other ladies have said, and I totally agree. Hurrah for pattern combining! :) It is a perfectly classic and "warm" fallish outfit, and you wear it well. Including the dead monkeys. Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, Sarah! I'm a pretty big fan of the monkeys myself! ;)

      Delete
  9. Love the separates inspiration! I always think that I need more separates, then just forget to sew them because all the pretty fabric clearly needs to be dresses, and who buys boring fabric when there are pretties to be had? Oh dear... ;P And your "monkeys" are lovely! (~ _ ^) ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonita!! I am in the same boat! I tend to make very few blouses and skirts, mainly because skirts are so hard to fit! I never thought of myself as being very curvy, but with the trouble I have fitting skirts (tight in the hips and biiiig in the waist), you might think so!
      :) Thanks again!

      Delete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)