Monday, July 27, 2015

• Accessorizing My 1930s Dress •


A couple of weeks ago, Lily of Mode de Lis posted about her 1930s pocket tutorial. To say I loved it would have been an understatement!! It's so cute, and the absolute perfect addition to pretty much any '30s dress. It occurred to me that my 1930s dress needed just such an addition! I liked how it looked without the pocket, and yet it really needed an extra dose of '30s goodness.


So, I made a pocket! The tutorial is very easy to follow, and it couldn't be easier to make!


This was quite the revamp of my dress; I needed to take some extra length out of the back since it was a little bit too long in the waist. I unpicked the seam and basted it up several different times before I got it to be the right length. I ended up taking the skirt up 2 inches in the back! Goodness! And the amazing part is, it didn't effect the hem. 

So now, not only is my dress cuter, but it actually fits right! No more pesky reaching-behind-the-back-to-adjust-the-belt! I'm so happy to finally have this be the super-comfortable, wear-it-every-single-day kind of dress.


I wear my crocheted collar from the Clarks ONT Fashions pattern book with the dress. And I'm actually currently crocheting the cape from that same pattern book to wear with this outfit.
So I guess you might end up being stuck seeing this dress a third time! 
;)


This pocket happens to qualify for this month's HSM!

The Challenge: Accessorize

Fabric: Leftover cotton from my dress, plus 1/8 yard navy blue cotton for the contrast

Pattern: Pocket Tutorial by Mode de Lis on the Penny Rose Fabrics Blog

Year: 1929-30

Notions: Thread

How historically accurate is it? 100%

Hours to complete: 15 minutes

First worn: Last week to church

Total cost: $1.17

Thanks ever so much to the amazing Lily for coming up with this adorable pocket tutorial! It's a definite keeper, and I can't wait to use it again!
Follow Me on Pinterest

13 comments:

  1. Pocket looks lovely. Very stylish dress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Esther! I am so in love with your 1930s dress! The print of the fabric is so darling and gives me some great ideas and inspiration for future endeavors. The crocheted collar is wonderful! My grandma tried to teach me to crochet...I can make a 5,000 foot chain and that's about it! The pockets are perfection and your belt is wonderful!! Thank you for this!!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Gina!! I'm sure you'll get the hang of crocheting eventually! Knitting is what I have a problem with! I started a sweater in March, and I know have the front done, and the back started. So fast, right? At this rate, I might have it done for NEXT winter. ;)
      Thank you so much for your sweet comment!! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm obsessed with pockets! This just transforms the dress! I would love to see the dress styled with a cape for the third time, it is great to see how people update and change the same look. Very cute fabric for this dress, just darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't pockets the best? I'm so hooked on them!!
      Thank you, Christina!! :)

      Delete
  4. Eeep! It's the dress out of my favorite dotty fabric! We're twinsies! Hahaa! I do love how pretty it is as a dress though, and I'd love to see how it looks with a cape! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayy!!! I love being fabric twinsies!! :)
      By the way, isn't this fabric the BEST?!! I literally never iron my dress! EVER!! And that's pretty amazing for cotton.
      Thanks for the comment, Bonita!!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful tweaks! I really like that pocket - it's like a wee (functional) work of art. This really is such a splendid, special, wonderful dress and now it's even more marvelous!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! I'm so glad to hear you like it! :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful fabric choice and great dress! The sleeves are amazing.
    +Victoria+
    justicepirate.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lovely! :-) And your hair is lovely and so softly curled in these photos- gotta love a good hair day when pictures are already on the docket, right?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)