Monday, May 25, 2015

• 1940s Home Front Frock •


Also entitled, "The Birthday Dress."
That's right! I made this dress for my birthday! I loved the pink fabric so much, and the pattern that I used for it so much, that I decided it was definitely what I wanted to make to wear on my birthday. 

We found this pattern at an antique store in La Crosse, Wisconsin. (It's called Antique Corner, just in case you were wondering. Yes. Go there. It's like antique heaven, and there's three floors(!). We didn't even make it to the first and third floors; we were too busy getting lost in the second floor which is all vintage dresses, hats, patterns and sewing stuff.) 
The design of the dress is so lovely with the asymmetrical front closure and those adorable scalloped pockets. I couldn't resist!


"Put on a bright front on the home front."


I decided to use red ric-rac with matching red fabric-covered buttons. The color of them really brings out the red in the fabric.


I am so happy to finally have a "princess line" dress pattern! We have one very similar to this that my mom has made, but it just isn't flattering on me. I'm glad to have a suitable alternative!



This hat. It's my absolute favorite hat ever. It had been staring at us for months, every time we went to the antique store, so we finally decided to buy it. It fits like a glove, and the style is just so cute! If I could just find about 12 other colors of the same exact hat, that would be amazing! ;)


The way these pockets were formed is quite ingenious; the side front pieces of the dress only extend down to the hip, and there is a separate skirt piece with a scalloped top. The skirt is sewed to the side bodice piece, wrong-side-to-right-side a little ways down, forming a pocket. The edges are then sewed into the remaining seams. Clever!!


All in all, this was a very fun dress to sew, and I can't wait to make more renditions of it! There is another illustration of it inside the pattern instruction sheet, showing it in a solid color with long sleeves and no neck-and-pocket trim. It would definitely be the perfect wool fall and winter dress. 
But for now, I think I had better keep my mind on summer sewing projects, don't you think? ;)

• Photos by my mom •

Follow Me on Pinterest

17 comments:

  1. That is so cute! And it looks so comfortable too :) I think the pocket/placement of the pockets is my favorite part of that dress.
    ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress! The fabric and style are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big pocket fan and cannot resist an interesting detailed pocket. The ric rac trim is just perfect! What a wonderful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pocket details are wonderful. And I love the hat. You look lovely. Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this dress! It is so cute. Great job, Esther! Happy Birthday! :D
    {hugs}
    Michelle ^_^
    Delightful Handwork

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing find! That pattern is lovely and your dress is just divine. Love the red and pink together - and ric rac makes everything look great!
    I wish I could go to Antiques Corner - sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything about your dress, the ric-rac, the buttons so pretty - I agree with you that hat is cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dress is gorgeous Esther! I love the rick-rack trim and the buttons. Such a clever, lovely addition.

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three floors of antiques...oh my word, that sounds like my definition of paradise! :)

    Beautiful dress! I love every last detail and element, very much including the neckline. Square necklines are actually my all-time second favourite type (topped only by sweetheart ones), as they tend to work really well on my figure (I think their lines help to counterbalance all my curves! :)). I really wish more repro/vintage inspired brands would put out pieces with them actually, as they can be tricky to find there, with genuine vintage, or when it comes to classic, modern pieces alike. Not to veer all OT, there, it's just that seeing your wonderful new birthday dress just reminded me how much I adore them! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what fun! A dress made from a vintage pattern is one of my very favorite kinds of dresses! The color and pattern you chose for this dress is so fun!! And I am loving that ric rac!!! The hat is marvelous!! Laaaaa!!!
    blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cheery new frock Esther! I adore the off set button up look of the 40's so much!

    Love,
    Cassie

    Calico Sisters blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely dress! Very fetching, indeed! :-) The details are so well suited to the ric-rac! I think the uniquely-vintage details of this dress make it one of my very favorites of yours. :-)

    And a very happy birthday to you, belated though it may be!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your dress is lovely, I really like the ric rac. Three floors of antiques sounds like the perfect place!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh! Once again your fabric choice is spot on for the amazing pattern, the ric-rac trim is such an adorable way to show off the sweet detailing of the scalloped pockets. Plus, your hat really adds such a nice finishing touch. Lovely. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this dress, especially with the hat. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The whole dress is gorgeous but the super cute pockets are really the icing on the cake :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)