Here is a cute little apron that takes hardly any time at all, but it is still really cute!! I got these three fabrics at JoAnn - floral, polka dot and chevron. I picked them up the instant I saw them because they are such beautiful colors!! I used the floral fabric for the waistband and tails, and the other two went together to make the body. This would be lovely in any color, but I just thought coral was so beautiful. I hope you enjoy the tutorial!
You will need: 1/2 yd each of three different coordinating fabrics. (1-1/2 yds. total)
1. To begin, cut out the pieces as follows:
(tails) 2 pieces: 4" x 39 1/2"
(waistband) 1 piece: 6" x 24"
(body) 2 pieces - 9" x 32" each
(body) 1 piece - 18" x 32"
~Iron under one long edge of the waistband 3/8."
2. Serge or sew together the three apron body pieces. Turn the hem over twice (by ironing) on the sides and bottom, and sew the hem. Baste the top edge of the apron body at 3/8" and 4/8." Mark the half-way point of the apron body and waistband.
3. Gather the top edge of the apron body by pulling on the front or back basting stitches. Match up the half-way points and pin the pieces with right sides together, leaving 5/8" of the waistband on either end as shown in the picture below.
4. Sew the two pinned pieces together at 5/8."
5. Fold a tail piece in half with right sides together, and sew it at 5/8", leaving one end open. I like to reinforce the corner of the tail, so I usually start sewing, turn the corner and sew about an inch, go back to the beginning, and then turn around again and continue sewing. This will ensure that your corner doesn't come apart, and you won't have to tie the ends! Trim corners and seams. Repeat with the other tail piece.
6. Turn the tail piece right side out, push out the corners and iron it flat.
7. Lay the tail piece on the right side of the waistband with the short edges even.
8. Fold the waistband over, lining up the ironed-over edge with the seam of the waistband underneath. Make sure that the tail is tight up against the folded over edge of the waistband. Pin.
9. Sew the seam even with the edge of the apron body as shown. Tie ends.
10. Turn the waistband right side out. Whipstitch the open edge on the back side of the apron to close the seam. Tie ends. You are done!!!